Vacancies and Training
This section is intended as a resource for members seeking or promoting employment, training and/or professional development in the field of toxicology.
If you would like to submit a vacancy, or any item that would be of interest to the Group, please e-mail the advertisement or web link to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a brief summary of the position and candidate specification.
Please consult the advertisements below for appropriate format. All posts are subject to the discretion of the LTG Executive committee.
Senior Forensic Toxicology Analyst
- Forensics Services Department, Headquarters
- Grade F - £32,673- £38,376
To maximise the effectiveness of forensic evidence through the examination of forensic toxicology samples, with technical lead responsibility for ensuring the adherence to and maintenance of accreditation requirements. All activity will be conducted in compliance with the Quality Standards Framework (ISO 17020, ISO 17025, ILAC-G19 and the Forensic Science Regulators Codes of Practice and Conduct).
- Handle, process and analyse blood and urine samples for drugs using Liquid Chromatography - Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS-MS) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS-MS) for the purpose of drug driving investigations
- Act as technical lead for accreditation with responsibility for planning method validation, documenting and reviewing technical procedures, reviewing proficiency testing/interlaboratory comparison results, managing the purchasing and batch testing of critical supplies and ensuring a schedule of equipment calibration is completed.
- Assist the Forensic Toxicology Manager and Quality Standards team in the co-ordination of UKAS visits
- Work alongside the Forensic Toxicology Manager and Quality Standards Team to evaluate the risks associated with non conformance, identify root causes, and resolve the issues
- Coordinate and conduct peer review to ensure that results are valid and safe. Participate fully in all other quality assurance processes such as audits and proficiency/inter-laboratory tests
- Maintain competency in forensic toxicology techniques and coordinate the competency of technical staff
- Advise the Forensic Services Department Management Team and other stakeholders on technical matters, best practice and strategy in relation to toxicology analysis
- Provide advice, guidance, awareness and mentoring in relation to your area of Forensic activity to internal and external personnel
- Be responsible for the completion of Streamlined Forensic Reports (SFRs) and Witness Statements in relation to your involvement in the forensic process and attend court to present evidence
Knowledge & Experience
- A degree in a scientific subject or equivalent or substantial relevant experience in a scientific laboratory environment is essential.
- A sound knowledge and experience of LC-MS-MS and/or GC-MS-MS is essential. Knowledge of Forensic Toxicology is desirable.
- Experience of working in an ISO 17025 or ISO 17020 quality management environment is required to understand the impact should accreditation not be achieved and maintained.
- A sound knowledge of forensic processes is essential to the role.
- Continued professional development is expected through the maintenance of an active training file which documents all training received and evidence of ongoing competence. Additionally, the role holder is expected to keep abreast of technological developments, legislative changes and any changes to quality standards requirements pertinent to the role.
- Excellent communication skills, in order to produce clear and concise documented procedures, processes, policies and reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong working relationships and work effectively with people across different levels of the organisation. Experience of supervising staff and working in a senior role is desirable.
- Good information handling skills with sound analytical and problem solving skills in order to manage varied and intense workloads whilst prioritising accreditation activities.
- Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines, whilst maintaining a good level of performance, high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively plan and coordinate multiple activities. Possess excellent IT skills.
Click here for the JDQ
Click here for the Leadership Framework